Gastroenterologist Lebedeva called constant fatigue a sign of low ferritin levels. What indicator is considered normal?

Gastroenterologist Dilyara Lebedeva said that a lack of ferritin can reduce the level of quality of life. Hair loss, dry skin, and severe fatigue are observed.

If ferritin levels are below normal, this is a cause for concern. 

— What level is considered normal? 60 and above! And remember that even if the total iron level in the blood is within normal limits, you can still experience iron deficiency due to a low transferrin saturation coefficient, — the doctor emphasized in her blog.

You need to monitor your iron level and regularly check not only it, but also the transferrin saturation coefficient!

Iron is “our internal energy generator,” the doctor noted. It helps transport oxygen throughout the body, supports the immune system and cognitive functions.

What are serum iron and ferritin? The indicator of the first reflects the amount of iron in the bloodstream, and the second shows the supply of iron in the internal organs. It accounts for 30% of the iron microelement reserves in the body, the remaining 70% is concentrated in hemoglobin.

In other words, iron is an important trace element in red blood cells (erythrocytes), which carry oxygen to the body's cells, and ferritin stores iron and releases it when the body needs it. Too little ferritin causes iron deficiency anemia.

Iron deficiency anemia is the most common type of anemia. As the name suggests, it is associated with a lack of iron in the body. Signs:

1. A person feels constantly tired and weak, even after little physical activity.

2. The skin may have a pale or yellowish tint, and mucous membranes (such as the gums) may be pale.

3. Difficulty breathing, shortness of breath.

4. Dizziness and headaches.

5. Constantly cold hands and feet.

6. Nails can become brittle and fragile, and hair can become dull and fall out.

Read also: Oncologist Karasev called lack of strength a possible sign of cancer

You can also read: Gastroenterologist Vyalov warned about the special danger of beer for the stomach

Read more: Doctors called a constantly bloated stomach the main sign of the “quietest” type of cancer

Important! Information is provided for reference purposes. Ask a specialist about contraindications and side effects and do not self-medicate under any circumstances. At the first signs of illness, consult a doctor.

Dilyara Lebedeva Dilyara Lebedeva Medicine gastroenterologist