A special toothpaste has appeared to treat peanut allergies

Researchers have recently developed a toothpaste that may reduce the risk of allergic reactions in adults with peanut allergies.

A special Toothpaste for Peanut Allergy

Oral immunotherapy for peanut allergy involves consuming small amounts of peanuts to desensitize people to legumes, thereby ensuring a milder reaction to peanuts in the future. Now, researchers have developed a special toothpaste that can effectively deliver allergenic proteins to immunologically active areas of the oral cavity. A new approach offers a safe and convenient alternative to allergy immunotherapy for people with food allergies.

Peanut allergy is one of the most common food allergies in the world and is especially common in children. These allergies lead to emergency room hospitalizations and even fatal allergic reactions, and the prevalence of peanut allergies is increasing. Treatment generally involves avoiding peanuts altogether and following an emergency plan in case of accidental exposure. But such measures have a side effect.

While some food allergies, such as egg or milk allergies, go away over time, peanut allergies are difficult to outgrow and often last a lifetime. However, oral peanut immunotherapy can develop peanut tolerance in children.

In an effort to improve the lives of people with peanut allergies, researchers have developed a new desensitization method that does not require patients to actually eat peanuts. “Oral mucosal immunotherapy (OMIT) uses a specially formulated toothpaste to deliver peanut allergenic proteins to areas of the mouth,” Dr. William E. Berger, who led the study and is a board-certified pediatric allergist at County Children's Hospital, said in a press release. Orange in the USA. “OMIT as a peanut protein delivery mechanism has great potential for reducing food allergy sensitivity. Through targeted delivery and ease of use, it furthers the goal of improved adherence,” he added.

The study involved 32 adults with peanut allergies, ages 18 to 55, who received either an increasing dose of peanut toothpaste or a placebo. Participants were then followed for 48 weeks.

“We observed that 100% of patients receiving toothpaste consistently tolerated the maximum dose specified in the protocol,” said Dr. Berger. “No moderate or severe systemic reactions were observed in active participants. Non-systemic adverse reactions were mainly local (oral itching), moderate and transient. Treatment adherence was 97%, with no dropouts due to study drug.”

The researchers now plan to conduct additional long-term studies to further evaluate the use of toothpaste to provide long-term protection against accidental peanut ingestion.

“OMIT appears to be a safe and convenient option for adults with food allergies. The results support further development of this toothpaste in the pediatric population,” concluded Dr. Berger.